News

President Backs Off On Iranian Strike

Just kicking the can down the road. Or, perhaps not.

The president mulled the Iranian nuclear situation last week and almost took action. But instead decided, even though the Iranian government is well on its way to nuclear weapons that would endanger regional and American national security, to pass the issue to the incoming Biden administration. At least that is the public word, for now. But Trump is no coward and he is a canny geopolitical player. Is this a ploy to seemingly sleep, while strike planning with the Israelis, Saudis, and other regional allies proceeds apace? If so, the Iranian people stand with us.

 

Newsmax: “President Donald Trump asked for options on attacking Iran’s main nuclear site last week but ultimately decided against taking the dramatic step, a U.S. official said on Monday. Trump made the request during a meeting on Thursday with his top national security aides, including Vice President Mike Pence, his new Acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller, and General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the official said. The official confirmed the account of the meeting in The New York Times, which reported that the advisers persuaded Trump not to go ahead with a strike because of the risk of a broader conflict. ‘He asked for options. They gave him the scenarios and he ultimately decided not to go forward,’ the official said.” If this is true, these advisers are not avoiding a broader conflict, they are guaranteeing one.

As Churchill said to Chamberlain, “You were given the choice between war and dishonour. You chose dishonour, and you will have war.”

The president is a good student of history. He knows that aggression left unchecked leads to greater conflict. He understands that when the irrational Iranians say Death to America and Israel, they mean it. He knows that if the French would have acted in March of 1936 against the German occupation of the Rhineland, the Second World War might have been avoided. Thus, the president’s hesitancy is possibly a ruse.

Newsmax: “His request for options came a day after a U.N. atomic watchdog report showed that Iran had finished moving a first cascade of advanced centrifuges from an above-ground plant at its main uranium enrichment site to an underground one, in a fresh breach of its nuclear deal with big powers…Iran’s 2.4 ton stock of low-enriched uranium is now far above the deal’s 202.8 kg limit. It produced 337.5 kg in the quarter, less than the more than 500 kg recorded in the previous two quarters by the International Atomic Energy Agency.” We need to act, now, before the Iranians gain nukes and threaten the entire region. Hopefully, the president understands that and is planning accordingly.

This piece was written by David Kamioner on November 17, 2020. It originally appeared in DrewBerquist.com and is used by permission.

Read more at DrewBerquist.com:
The Fight Goes On For The President
Georgia Republicans Need To Be Ruthless
It’s A Trump Sprint Until January

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Carl Higbie. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.

Join the Discussion

COMMENT POLICY: We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, hard-core profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment!